Summertime is the time when more families get together to enjoy some
well-earned vacation time. Some families travel outside the state to get
away from the heat, while others may choose to stay in Arizona and take in
the natural beauty of the desert. Some families are not in a position to do
either, and simply try to enjoy their local parks and facilities. No matter
where you end up this month, make sure you get you and your family outside,
taking the time to do something active and fun with your family! Just
remember to avoid the hottest part of the day, wear sun screen, and donít go
over the top! Plan something special with your children or parents on July
26thóNational Parents Day! Find out more about National Parents day at
- Want to beat the heat? Go to the public pool with your family, take
in a few games at a local bowling alley, or walk a nearby mall!
- See how much exercise youíre already getting! Wear a pedometer and
learn how many steps youíre taking. Aim for 10,000 a day! At the end of
the day, see which family member won with the most steps.
- Remember that activities donít need to be planned! Walk to the
corner store instead of driving there, and bring the family along! Get
everyone to run in place during the commercials between your television
shows. Anything is better than nothing!
- Build a habitóschedule some active time with your family each day!
Go for a walk as a family right after dinner or plan exercises that
everyone can take part in daily!
- Have a daughter that loves to run? Check out Girls on the Run, a
non-profit organization dedicated to inspiring girls to reach their
potential! More information can be found at